_REFLECTION


 REFLECTION 


Image: Completed works


 Introduction 

As a student studying the Bachelor of Interior Architecture (Honours), BEIL0014 Digital Making introduced me to new methods of designing objects and spaces, as well as new challenges in making and creating with metal.

I have learnt through the reflection of my discipline, that I knew very little about one of the most commonly used building materials, metal. Despite having little experience in working with metal or the fabrication lab, this course became one of the most enjoyable electives I've undertaken here at UNSW. 


 Previous Understanding 

Prior to this course only a few well known designers, architects and artists would spring to mind when thinking about metal. Despite knowing the obvious that they were all made using the material, I did not understand how they may have been formed.

The following images include examples of these together in conjunction with images of the tasks completed in class which adhere to the methods they have have used.


 Frank Gehry 


Image: Weisman Art Museum, 2011 (addition).

 Marc Newson 



Image: The Lockhead Lounge, Riveted Aluminium and Fiberglass, 1986. 




 Anish Kapoor 



Image: Cloud Gate, Stainless Steel, 2006. 


Image: Bowl Task


Image: Skin divided into sections & welded together

Image: Skin formed around internal frame



Image: Frame Replica of engine tank with paper template

 Richard Serra 


Image: The Matter of TimeWeathering Steel, 1994–2005.


Image: Amity Leigh Yore 



Image: Drawing indicating sheet of metal being pulled through English Wheel to bend the form


_


The preliminary studies of my course has also given me basic understanding of ways in which aluminium and other metals such as steel & brass can be used throughout construction. 


 External Facades 


Image: Perforated anodised aluminium panels.


 Roofing 


Image: House for Mother, Studio FAF, 2014.

 Openings 



 Internal Walls 


Image: Acne Studios, Brushed Aluminium. 


 Detailing 


Image: Aluminium Edge trim


Image: Aluminium Edge trim


 Framing 


Image: Structural metal stud framing.


 Railings 


 Detailing 


Image: Henry Wilson, Brass Pull Handles, Sand Cast & Rumbled Finish, 2018.


 Joinery 


Image: Jonathan West,  Metal & Wood Furniture Maker.

_

 Why I chose to enrol into 

BEIL0014 'Digital Making' 


Enquire a better understanding of the material capabilities of metal

Gain a practical "hands on" skill set in manipulating metals

Develop a better understanding of computer aided programs 

_


 Reflection on Interior Architecture Discipline 

Until now, I have mainly uses timber and plaster within my early design process to conceptualise volume and space. However, timber is solid and therefore less malleable, while plaster is also hard to form, and quite brittle. In future, i'd really like to start working with metal. Its ability to shrink and stretch allows me to (almost) continually work with it, its light, durable and affordable too.


Image: Plaster Models

Through this Digital making course, my understanding of the boundaries within manipulating metals has been enhanced. It has taught me ways in which the designers (listed above), whom I admire, may have created their own work too. It has also given me a better understanding of the qualities, malleability, strength and overall capabilities of metal. From here, I believe I can now begin to experiment and push the limits within my own design practice.


I have found that architect Frank Gehry uses aluminium to help conceptualise his own work, as seen in the image below.
Understanding the potential of metal as a material allows me to consider it more ways than just a structural foundation. 



Image: Model of Conference Hall DZ Bank, Berlin.



Image: Project Realisation of Conference Hall DZ Bank, Berlin.


 The primary applications used within my discipline includes: 

AutoCAD
Sketchup
Indesign
Illustrator
Photoshop


Although AutoCAD has proved useful within my discipline, it often only give us just a 2D understanding. Thus meaning, to become great designers we need to be educated in the boundaries of the materials we use, to better understand build-ability.



Image: AutoCAD Floor Plan



Even though Sketchup allows us to create a 3D model of our space, giving us an understanding of spatial qualities, we still don't understand the tactile qualities of the materials we use.





Image: Sketchup Model



In the past, I have given laser cutting a go in creating models to show clients a finished example of my work. The digital process of laser cutting made model making precise and quick. It helps to ensure the risk of human error.


Image: Laser Cut Plywood Model


_


The Digital Design Processes of BEIL0014 has introduced me to new developments and methods in design. Programs such as Rhino and Grasshopper has shown me new ways in which I can create 3D models. As these programs were knew to me, I found them difficult to comprehend, however I believe through practice they seemed to prove better in creating complex shapes and forms.

From further research, I have seen how contemporary design practices are exploiting the potential of building using metals and other materials through new innovative technologies. Proving that combining the two as Digital Making has, can lead to endless opportunities.


 MX3D 


Image: Worlds first 3D-Printed Metal Bridge 



 Anthony Hunt Associates  


Image: Rolling Bridge, London, Completed 2004.


 Skills I've Taken Away 

Considering the entire process & planing ahead


The use of templates and how they can really help

Confidence in using the Fabrication Labs and Metal Workshop

Learning how to use the english wheel, shrinker, stretcher, sander, and various hand tools


 My strengths 

The Hand making skills and technique

I found the process of making quite enjoyable, as it was relaxing and rewarding creating something I was proud of. It only became frustrating when not enough time was allocated to complete the task to my satisfaction. 

 My Weaknesses 

Using and understanding the digital softwares
Rhino
&
Grasshopper

As this was the first time using these programs I did not yet know the full capabilities of them. This made the process slow and daunting, pushing our initial progress behind until Russell helped us with ensuring our file for our custom fuel talk was correct


 Extra Comments 

Working in an interdisciplinary studio environment, it was interesting to see how each student worked and what level of understanding and skill they had. As a young emerging designer, I believe it is important to work with people across different disciplines to come up with new and innovative ideas. 

The most important thing that I have learnt by completing this subject, is that I thoroughly enjoyed the hands on experience. Its an enjoyable thing to be able to step away from the computer screen. 

Understanding the qualities and capabilities of the materials I use within my own discipline is important in ensuring that I not only create buildable projects, but understand there limits.

In future, i'd love to gain more hands on experience through making, perhaps enrolling into a object / furniture making workshop.

✌️
_

Cheree Ying Richardson
z5101671

Comments

Popular Posts